Friday, July 26, 2013

Shiva Temple- Oil Painting- Step by Step



This is the second Oil painting I am currently working on. Here, the photo on the left side is of Bhaskareshwara Temple, Bhubhneshwar. I have taken this photo as reference. I have started working on temple's structure. Behind the lady in the middle, there is an idol of Nandi (Bull) as we see normally in all Shiva temples which I have decided to show in the painting.




Step 1- 

Medium- Oil on Canvas, 18" x 24"

In the first step I have washed the canvas with a thin layer of Yellow Ochre and after it dried I made an outer sketch using Burnt Sienna. 


Step 2: In this step I colored the sky by mixing Cobalt Blue Hue and Flake White Hue. Also I colored the ground by mixing Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue and a little bit of Scarlet Lake.


Step 3- In this attempt I increased the number of grids on the floor and made it look more natural. I have also added details to the Adhisthana (Base/Pedestal) portion of the temple.











Step 4- Now I have started working on the tower and the finial portion of the temple(Gandi & Mastaka).














Step 5- After completing the Shikhara(tower) portion I have started working on the middle walls.

Step 6- Here I have finished painting the main structure. 

1 comment: